Wayne County Treasurer's Office PSA Series

Avoid Losing Your Home to Tax Foreclosure

If you are 3 or more years behind on your taxes, you must act immediately to stop Wayne County from taking your property.

STEP ONE: Find out if your property is heading to foreclosure: Visit or call (313) 224-5990.

STEP TWO: Determine if you can pay your taxes now or get on a payment plan: Paying off the earlier tax years in full or getting on a payment plan will protect you from losing your home. Visit the Treasurer's Office at 400 Monroe St. to pay your taxes or make payment arrangements. 

STEP THREE: If you cannot afford to pay: Call the Foreclosure Prevention Hotline (313) 405-7726 or email

  • Get an extension: If you are low-income, you may qualify for an extension with Wayne County or be eligible for financial assistance from the State of Michigan.
  • Get help with probate for a deceased owner: If the owner of the property is deceased, you can file a probate case and the property may be removed from foreclosure.
  • To reduce future taxes, ensure you have a principal residence exemption (PRE): To file or get additional info visit the City Assessor's Office or call 313.386.1800 Ext 1239.

Tenants or Land Contract Holders

If you rent or have a land contract, your options are different from those of homeowners. Renters should not pay their landlord’s taxes! Call the Foreclosure Prevention Hotline (313) 405-7726.

Additional Resources

Doc app

Document Center

The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.

Search for file type:
Categories always sorted by seq (sub-categories sorted within each category)
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category
Please click on one of the categories below to see uploaded documents.
Video Series 3 documents
Download File
document seq 0.00
Download File
document seq 0.00
Download File
document seq 0.00